Longest triple jump on U.S. soil allows Christian Taylor to win Pre Classic

By Becky Hoag

The Hayward crowd went crazy on the second day of the Prefontaine Classic as the reigning world champion, Christian Taylor, and fellow American Will Claye battled during the last two rounds of the triple jump.

This competition has been ongoing since the jumpers trained together at University of Florida from 2010 to 2012 with coach Dick Booth. During the 2012 London Olympics, Taylor got gold and Claye got silver.

“I think he has a lot of respect for me, and I have a lot of respect for him,” Taylor said. “I know what he is capable of, and he knows he can’t count me out, so we continue to push each other.”

The former teammates went back and forth between first and second place.

“I knew he was going to bring a show, and he is always pushing me, always wants to fight,” Taylor said.

In the end, Taylor beat out Claye with 59 feet, 5 inches–the longest jump ever on U.S. soil, and the fourth longest jump in history. Claye got a new personal record of 59-2 3/4 inches.

“No one else has jumped this far and not won,” the public address announcer said.

In any other meet, Claye’s personal best would have won.

“I like the rush of the steal,” Taylor said. “I love it when someone jumps and believes it’s over, but you know it’s not over until the fat lady sings. So until you see a foul or a short jump on the sixth jump, don’t count me out.”

Taylor wanted to do even better on his final jump, especially since he is closing in on the world record of 60 feet. When it was time for him to finish the event, the crowd of more than 12,000 went silent in anticipation.

“The stadium was so quiet, and I got goosebumps,” Taylor said. “I honestly wasn’t prepared for that.”

This unexpected reaction from the crowd got Taylor out of his rhythm and he fouled, but at that point it didn’t matter.

“I didn’t think that jump was going to be that big ,but if my competitors push me, I respond,” Taylor said.

Currently living in the Netherlands where he is training for the world championships at the Dutch Olympic Training Center, Taylor always wants to make the best of his time in the United States.

“When you have Eugene like this, you cannot waste a day,” Taylor said. “I live in Holland now and, coming back to the U.S., it’s very special to me. I don’t take it for granted.”

Taylor is looking forward to competing in the World Championship in London this summer. He is inspired by the triple jump world record holder, Jonathan Edwards of Great Britain, and hopes to beat the record someday.

“I’ve watched his film probably more than he has,” Taylor said. “But the thing is that I have to put my own twist. I’m not trying to jump like him. I’m trying to surpass his mark.”

Becky Hoag