Ronnie Baker wins Pre Classic 100 meters over an Olympian-filled field

By Maverick Pallack

Although the headline of the men’s 100 meters race at the Prefontaine Classic was an Olympic rematch between American Justin Gatlin and Canadian Andre De Grasse, United States sprinter Ronnie Baker won with a time of 9.86 seconds.

After finishing seventh in his previous Diamond League meet in Doha, Baker was happy to respond with a win against a similar field, especially with the U.S. championships, which will serve as the trials for the world championships, happening next month.

“It’s just a huge confidence booster,” Baker said. “I raced these guys in Doha and didn’t do very well, so to come back and win at the next Diamond League meet that I got to be a part of is absolutely amazing. It gives me a huge confidence booster going into trials in four weeks.”

After nursing multiple injuries since the Olympics, Gatlin finished fifth with a time of 9.97. His goal for today was not to win, but to build for the U.S. championships. Gatlin, an Olympic veteran, saw this as an opportunity for runners who were more hungry and healthy than he was to come and get a Diamond League win on their resumé.

“I mean, it’s great,” Gatlin said. “At the end of the day, it’s the transition of what the sport is. You have some guys who are going to come up and make sure they get a name for themselves and want to make the team and stay hungry. So for athletes who are like me, you got to make sure you stay healthy for more and also just be able to stay hungry. Strike when it’s time you need to strike.”

Running against Olympians in this event like De Grasse, Gatlin and Ben Youssef Meïté was not intimidating to the less experienced Baker.

“I know that I can run with these guys,” Baker said. “I’ve been doing that. I’ve been running fast. I had the fastest time coming in, and no one really talked about me. I had to come out here and prove myself. No one’s going to talk about you until you do something. Beating these guys is tremendous for me, and hopefully a lot of people recognize that I can run with these guys. And maybe it will give me a little more attention.”

The transition from college to the pro ranks has favored Baker as he enjoys being able to choose when and where to run.

“The biggest thing for me is really that factor,” Baker said. “Just being by myself. I kind of like it. My coach is not with me, I get to do a little more than I usually get to do.”

Baker now looks forward to U.S. championships followed by his debut in the TrackTown Summer series.

After getting picked by Sanya Richards-Ross to represent the Philadelphia Force, Baker is looking forward to his opportunity with the more laid back running environment the series possesses.

“You kind of get to do a little extra,” Baker said. “It’s not really an organized, like a super organized event like the Olympic trials. It’s more goofy, I kind of like that.”

Baker and Gatlin’s focus will turn to the USA Track and Field Outdoor Championships, June 22-25 in Sacramento.

Maverick Pallack