Nikki Hiltz exceeded expectations to get to worlds

DOHA, Qatar — Nikki Hiltz began her 2019 season with an 800-meter race at the Bryan Clay Invitational in April and will end it running the 1,500 meters at the IAAF World Track and Field Championships. In her first professional season since graduating from the University of Arkansas, Hiltz didn’t anticipate so much success.

“I think if you told me in April I’d be on the world championship team, I would not have believed you,” said Hiltz, who spent two seasons at Oregon before transferring. “I feel like this season has exceeded all my expectations.”

After running 4 minutes, 5.56 seconds at the Portland Track Festival in June to beat the world qualifying time in the 1,500 by 1.06 seconds, Hiltz then placed third at the U.S. outdoor championships to secure a spot on the world team.

Hiltz will compete in the first round of the 1,500 meters Wednesday at Khalifa International Stadium in a race that includes Americans Shelby Houlihan, Jenny Simpson and Sinclaire Johnson. Hiltz’s goal in her first world championships is to qualify for the finals.

“It still feels unreal,” said Hiltz. “It hasn’t really set in yet that it’s actually worlds, but it’s really exciting.”

One race in particular built Hiltz’s confidence: her first 1,500-meter race of the season at the USATF Distance Classic in May. 

“I had one really good race and then that’s all it took to finally believe in myself and believe that I belonged here,” said Hiltz. “I’ve been riding this momentum all season.”

The unprecedented heat in Doha won’t shake her confidence, either. Hiltz trained throughout the year in San Diego and for the past three weeks has sat in a sauna for 20 minutes at 150 degrees after workouts. She also came to Qatar early; she doesn’t compete until Day Six but arrived over the weekend and has done easy runs the past few days. She will attempt her first workout on Wednesday.

She is unsure of how the heat will impact her performance.

“I’ve never raced at worlds before or in this heat before, so I have no idea,” said Hiltz. “I’m just trying to prepare as much as possible.”

After Doha, Hiltz hopes to ride the momentum from worlds to the Olympic Trials next year.

“I’m just hoping to have so much fun here that when it’s the trials next year, I’ll have that in the back of my mind,” said Hiltz.

Nate Mann