Genzebe Dibaba focuses on personal best in 5,000 meters

There is a lot of hype surrounding Genzebe Dibaba’s potential world-record attempt on Saturday in the 5,000 meters at the Prefontaine Classic, but she isn’t playing into it.

“To break a world record has been a dream of all my lifetime, and I will do all my best,” Dibaba said through an interpreter during Friday afternoon’s press conference in Eugene.

But, she said she isn’t focused on the world record in her first Pre Classic appearance.

“I have a good feeling for Eugene because my sister ran good here,” she said. “This is a track where the 5,000 meters is run in a very fast time, so that is why I am excited to run here. … I am telling myself I will run my fastest time in the 5,000.”

Dibaba would need to trim 17 seconds from her personal best to get the record, which is held by her older sister, Tirunesh Dibaba. Dibaba earned the world record in Oslo in 2008, finishing in 14 minutes, 11.15 seconds.

Genzebe’s PR for the 5,000 meters outdoors was in Monaco on July 18, 2014, when she finished with a time of 14:28.88.

Genzebe is no stranger to attempting a world record. On a windy day in March, she was just two seconds shy of earning the world record in the 5K road  race. She points out that world records are not the most important thing to her, but being a world and Olympic champion are.

Genzebe does recognize her competition in tomorrow’s race will be challenging, with other top runners such as four-time world champion Vivian Cheruiyot of Kenya and fellow Ethiopian Almaz Ayana, who won the 5,000 meters race on May 17 in 14:14.32.

“The challenge is big, of course,” said Genzebe. “All of the top 5,000 runners are here. We are competing together, but I have already prepared myself in a good way. I have my own plan to run as fast as I can, and I am hoping to improve my PR in Eugene.”

Pre Classic meet director Tom Jordan said that the Pre Classic has been lucky enough to have world records broken, but not at a popular distance like the 5,000 meters. According to Jordan, Genzebe’s agent requested a pacer for the event. “She wants the world record,” Jordan said.

Jordan also points out that the conditions aren’t ideal for the attempt, but because the Pre Classic is a Diamond League event it must be held during a certain time window. That window is 2 p.m. and although Gezebe said she has never raced at that time before in a meet, she thinks the weather is not cold and not warm, but comfortable.

“I have never been worried about heat at the Prefontaine Classic, but maybe if it’s bad tomorrow I will start worrying,” Jordan said.

Jordan said that every year he hopes for a new world record in at least one event.

“If she were to get it — it would be kind of a fulfillment,” he said.

Beth Maiman