Richards-Ross and Felix are healthy and ready to race

Sanya Richards-Ross, the 2012 Olympic gold medalist in the women’s 400 meters, is “ready to run fast.” After already running sub-50 seconds less than a month ago in Jamaica, she hopes to repeat the feat again on Saturday during the Prefontaine Classic at Hayward Field. It would be her 50th sub-50 performance, the most of any woman in history.

For Allyson Felix, the 2012 Olympic gold medalist in the women’s 200 meters, today’s race will be her first 400-meter race of the season after running below 22 seconds in the 200 two weeks ago during a Diamond League event in Doha. Felix admits to being a little surprised by at the result since it was so early in the season. “Starting off strong this year is a testament to being able to train healthy,” she said.

Between the two, Felix and Richards-Ross have eight Olympic medals, multiple world championships, and both have previously won this event — Richards-Ross five times at this meet alone. However, also in the field are the top four finishers from last year’s race, including the eventual Diamond League champion at this distance, Jamaican Novlene Williams-Mills.

And as the IAAF season gets underway, everyone has their eyes on the World Championships in August and subsequently the 2016 Rio Olympics.

“This is the final dress rehearsal to ensure that the way we’re training is going to pay off and we’re going to peak at the right times,” said Richards-Ross.

Both Richards-Ross and Felix are anticipating a better year than the ones they just had. Richards-Ross struggled with problems with coming back from toe surgery, and Felix tore her right hamstring during the 2013 World Championships.

Both are now happy to be training healthy and are running close to the best times of their long careers and at such a familiar location.

“I’m back to feeling good and healthy and being able to run fast,” said Felix, adding later, “I’ve been running the 200 for so long I feel like I’m up for the challenge of running the 400.”

Although the 200 meters is her specialty, she is looking to see how she stacks up against the competition in the 400. Felix anticipates running the 400 at USATF Nationals later this summer in Eugene since she has a bye in the 200.

And while the field contains so many top runners, Richards-Ross isn’t looking to see how she measures up. She is looking to set herself up to win another world championship and add to her collection of sub-50 races.

“I just feel that I am in the best shape I could be in right now to be able to run another sub-50,” said Richards-Ross. “I know how to run this track and so I’m going to use that to help me.”

Lindsay Rossmiller