Women’s Discus: Obergfoll wins in second meet back from pregnancy

If you were to rank the top eight names on the start list for the Prefontaine Classic’s women’s javelin by career personal bests, the top three would share a common denominator: They’re all mothers.

“I think it’s cool that we have three mommies now,” said Christina Obergfoll of Germany, who won the event with a season-best throw of 206 feet, 11 inches (63.07 meters). “Just to see how they manage and how they throw. We talk to each other a lot.”

Obergfoll, who was competing in just her second competition since giving birth in October 2014, finished less than a foot ahead of American Kara Winger and Latvian Madara Palameika, whose best throws were the same distance of 206-2 (62.85 meters).

“I can’t feel a physical difference,” said Obergfoll. “I’m almost as strong and as fast as before. The throwing is just a little bit different. It’s not as explosive, not yet. But on the whole I’m really satisfied. I just need a few more competitions to get used to competition situations again.”

Despite winning her last two appearances at the Prefontaine Classic, she wasn’t considered the favorite entering Saturday. Her fellow competitors/mothers Barbora Spotakova, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, and Mariya Abakumova, who has a world championship gold, both boast better career personal records. But Obergfoll was able to improve on the 62 meters that she threw in Shanghai a few weeks ago, netting her the victory. Perhaps having more time away from home has helped.

“I don’t want you to hear it like I’m a bad mother, but I was really looking forward to having two or three days to myself,” she said with a laugh. “And then I’ll look forward to seeing him again. It’s a time when you can concentrate on yourself again. You can sleep when you want.”

According to the German, it’s the lack of sleep, not training, that has been the toughest part in bouncing back from the pregnancy.

“If you have a child, it’s somebody you have to look out for and have to take care of,” she said. “You have no time to chill anymore. At night, he’s still coming three, four times a night. I wake up and have to sit up.”

Spotakova, whose current world record of 237-2 (72.28 meters) was set back in 2008, finished fifth with a throw of 196-4 (59.84 meters). Abakumova’s best of 187-9 (57.24 meters) gave her a seventh-place finish.

Preston Hiefield