Johnson wins hurdles in Hayward Field debut

In order for someone to make a comeback, that person first must fall.

Oregon redshirt freshman Alaysha Johnson’s yearlong resurgence back to the track reached a high point on Saturday afternoon.

After missing her entire freshman season with an injury, Johnson – the 2013 Texas Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year – made her first appearance at Hayward Field, beating teammate Sasha Wallace to win the 100-meter hurdles at the Pepsi Team Invitational.

Johnson posted a time of 13.06 seconds – a personal best. Crossing the finish line as fast as she did came at a surprise – especially when her only expectation was to simply finish the race. She competed in four events, a bigger workload than she’s used to.

“I was nervous to see if I could actually finish every event I stepped on the track for,” Johnson said. “But I believed in my training, and [coach Robert Johnson] kept telling me I could do it.”

Johnson also competed in both relays and the 400 hurdles, where she came in third. USC senior All-American Jaide Stepter won the race with a time of 55.91 – a meet record.

It wasn’t easy for Johnson to spend her freshman season in college watching her teammates perform rather than compete alongside them. But seeing her team win the first women’s national championship for Oregon in 30 years motivated her.

“It put me in the right mood to grind and get ready for this year,” she said.

On Saturday, Johnson finally got her chance to step on the Hayward track in an Oregon singlet. Nerves hit her before the race, but the anticipation of finally hearing her name echo across the field’s speakers kept her excited.

Once Johnson crossed the finish line, public address announcer Paul Swangard did one more than simply announce her name.

“Welcome to Hayward Field, Alaysha Johnson,” Swangard said.

“It felt great,” Johnson said, flashing a smile. “It’s nice to feel welcomed.”

Earlier in the week, at TrackTown Tuesday – a public event designed to promote the Eugene track scene – Oregon coach Robert Johnson was asked about athletes on his team that fans could expect to make a name for themselves this outdoor season. The big names, like Devon Allen and Edward Cheserek, obviously stood out. The Oregon coach also pinpointed Alaysha Johnson as someone primed for success. She lived up to his words Saturday.

“That was a huge PR for her,” Robert Johnson said. “I’m thrilled at her continued resurgence from her high school days.”

Joseph Hoyt