Full slate of events begins again Thursday

By Keeler McJunkin

The U.S. Olympic Track and Field Trials get back to a full schedule on Thursday after a rest day Tuesday and a full day of hammer competition Wednesday. Here are some events to pay attention to over the final four days of competition at Hayward Field.

Women’s shot put (July 7): Two-time Olympian, American record holder and 2015 World Championships bronze medalist Michelle Carter leads the field in her chance at a third straight Olympic Games after competing in Beijing and London. She’s looking to bring home her first Olympic medal.

“The bottom line is to make the team,” Carter said. “Of course I want to win, but these girls are throwing well. You never know what’s going to happen. If you get first, second or bronze you’re on the team, and I think that’s everyone’s goal.”

200-meter races (July 7, 8, 9, 10): The men’s and women’s 200 are both stacked with deep lists of entries, including several veteran contenders and newcomers. Justin Gatlin is the men’s favorite in his second event of the trials after winning the 100, but Ameer Webb, Tyson Gay and LaShawn Merritt should challenge him for gold.

Allyson Felix is a strong favorite on the women’s side after winning gold in the 400, however, several sprinters look poised to challenge her, including Tori Bowie (third place in the 100), and three former or current Oregon Ducks in Jenna Prandini, Ariana Washington and Deajah Stevens.

Men’s 110 hurdles (July 8, 10): Aries Merritt, 2012 Olympic gold medalist and current world record holder, headlines the field and is continuing to make headlines for returning to the track after kidney transplant surgery in September 2015. Merritt has been regaining his strength through rehab after the surgery and has recovered from a strained groin suffered at the Prefontaine Classic in May.

“I feel really good going into the trials,” Merritt said. “Training has been going very well and I’m ready to go. I went to Germany and got treated, and now I’m better. Everything’s fine.”

Oregon dual sport athlete Devon Allen, the 2014 U.S. champion, will try to make his first Olympic team after winning his second NCAA title in June. He’ll have the Hayward Field crowd behind him through each round.

Triple jumps (July 7, 9): Keturah Orji, the American record holder and three-time NCAA champion, looks to make her first Olympic team at age 20. She finished fourth at the 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships in Portland.

“I was really excited to compete for the USA at world indoors in my first meet against the pros,” Orji said. “I was happy with the way I did and I’m looking forward to improving.”

Christian Taylor, 2012 Olympic gold medalist and two-time world championship gold medalist, is the favorite on the men’s side. The current American record holder has experience in big events and isn’t letting pressure get to him.

“I don’t have the same nerves as it being my first Olympic Trials,” Taylor said. “I’m very familiar with Hayward Field, the energy and the track itself. I think experience will play a big part when it comes to getting through qualifications and taking care of business in the final.”

Keeler McJunkin