Benjamin wins men’s 400 hurdles in photo-finish upset

By Abigail Winn

If last season was not enough of a fairytale ending, the magic has stuck with UCLA sophomore Rai Benjamin through this season.

Benjamin won the Pac-12 title in the men’s 400-meter hurdles Sunday with a new personal best of 49.52 seconds, a finish so close it was officially determined by photo, beating defending Pac-12 champion CJ Allen of Washington State University by 0.02 seconds.

Benjamin’s win was big for him. Last year he broke his foot in his first collegiate track meet, preventing him from running at all until the Pac-12s, where he ran his first 400-meter hurdles event. He qualified for regionals from there and made it to the NCAAs, where he placed sixth.

He said this year has been better than last. “My training is a lot better,” he said. “I have more time on the track. There’s a lot more I have to do technically during my race, just coming home. I just have to get that part structured and down. I’m just happy I came out here and had a huge PR.”

Taking second didn’t seem to faze Allen, who also hit a new personal best with his time of 49.54. “I felt like it was a strong finish,” he said. “I’m always a little bummed, I mean I got second, but I put everything I had on the track.”

Benjamin said his mom, who lives in New York, was a huge reason he made it through last year, and that their bond has grown. He talks to her every day over the phone.

“Our relationship is pretty funny. I’m out here and my mom’s in New York. She calls me every day if I don’t call,” he said. “I love her to death, she’s my backbone. I mean, without her I probably wouldn’t be here or have been doing this right now.”

Looking ahead, Benjamin said he expects tough competition in the following meets. “Coming into NCAAs and regionals, I don’t think anyone’s gonna lay over for anyone,” he said. “Everyone has to be on their ‘A’ game.”

Abigail Winn