Celliphine Chepteek Chespol Loses Shoe But Wins Steeplechase

By Morgan Sudduth

Eighteen-year-old Kenyan runner Celliphine Chepteek Chespol managed to win the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase Friday night at the Prefontaine Classic even though her shoe slipped off on the water jump.

Chespol ran the fastest time ever in the United States, 8 minutes, 58.78 seconds, beating Ruth Jebet and Beatrice Chepkoech. U.S. runner Emma Coburn finished fourth in 9:07.96.

It looked like two separate races. It was a race with three fast runners, Jebet, Chepkoech and Chespol, up front with a huge gap behind them. Coburn and Courtney Frerichs led the other pack of runners.

“I don’t know if I feel comfortable yet risking going out with the Kenyans,” said Coburn.

Coburn ran close to the American record and essentially ran the end of the race alone but said she felt strong, controlled, and powerful.

“I don’t think my last lap I could’ve gone much faster,” said Coburn. “My last 100 seemed pretty all out.”

Coburn plans to be able to push more and be able to close the gap by the time the world championships rolls around.

Coburn’s fellow U.S. runner Frerichs made her goal of finally getting under the 9:20 barrier. She finished fifth in 9:19.09. This was Frerichs’ first Prefontaine Classic.

“Hayward is just such a special place for me,” said Frerichs. “That Hayward magic is such a thing. The crowd gets so into the races.”

Morgan Sudduth