Mariya Lasitskene breaks Hayward Field high jump record at Pre Classic

By Ariel Sax

Mariya Lasitskene broke her personal best in the high jump Saturday to win the Prefontaine Classic high jump with a height of 6 feet, 8 inches (2.03 meters), which was also the highest jump in the world this year and in Hayward Field history.

Going into the meet, she knew that the highest jump at Hayward was 6-7, which was also her personal best. After clearing 6-6, she decided to skip 6-7 and go straight for a height of 6-8. On her third attempt, she finally cleared it.

“I felt good and realized it is possible,” said Lasitskene through her translator, Andrey Simonenko.

For now, Lasitskene plans to focus on improving these results this next year and prepare for the World Championships this August in London.

Kamila Licwinko of Poland finished second with a jump of 6-4 3/4, and coming in third was 19-year-old Vashti Cunningham, who cleared 6-4. Cunningham explained how she felt that she could have cleared a 6-6 today. However, she had some complications with her first attempts. Nonetheless, she’s proud of how today turned out.

“My progression from last year’s Prefontaine is a lot better this year,” said Cunningham.

In last year’s Pre Classic, Cunningham, 18 years old at the time, placed fifth with 6-3. This year she improved by 1 inch.

Cunningham was the youngest entered into this event today and after signing with Nike last March, Cunningham is still a fairly new professional athlete. She explained how Randall Cunningham, her father and retired NFL quarterback, has been by her side supporting and helping her through navigating the new environment.

“My dad is helping me get to the point where I just focus and I know exactly what I have to do and when I have to do it,” said Cunningham.

Cunningham explained how this season has been a lot more laid back compared to when she competed in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.

Ariel Sax