Fall takes Emily Lipari out of contention in national 1,500

By Allan Johnstone

In 2017, Emily Lipari had her best year yet as a professional athlete, winning three top races with her signature closing kick. She has followed it up this season by winning her first U.S. title, the 1-mile road race, at the Grand Blue Mile.

Looking to continue that momentum, Lipari raced Friday night in the Prefontaine Classic’s women’s national 1,500 meters.

She joined a high caliber field of runners and was in the top four for most of the race, trading spots with Lauren Johnson for second and third place, but she never got to her closing kick.

Then she fell.

The fall happened right as the pack started its last lap, and it looked to be the result of a windy event with everyone trying to break away from the middle of the pack.

“In the final 400 meters, everybody is getting jumpy and make moves,” Lipari said. “I don’t know if I caused it or the rail or somebody else. But I went to get out, and the next thing I know, I was on the ground and everybody was 20 meters ahead of me.”

In training for this event, Lipari has been splitting time between San Diego, where she lives and trains, and Seattle, where her husband lives.

“This is the best shape I have ever been in,” Lipari said. “This was a stellar 1,500-meter field, what would be a USA final minus a few people … and I’m obviously just super disappointed.

“I’ve never personally been involved in a fall. Thankfully I wasn’t hurt — only a few raspberries.”

The fall today at the Pre Classic adds a level of uncertainty to Lipari’s future. She had planned to do couple of 800-meter races before the U.S. nationals June 21-24 in Des Moines, but also wanted to run a fast 1,500.

“I’ll have to reevaluate now, but my next race would be an (800) in Portland,” she said. “I might have to make it a (1500) now.

“I have so much to prove. I’m out here with a purpose.”

Allan Johnstone