Jenn Suhr wins pole vault showdown against Eliza McCartney

By Bryce Dole

Six years ago was the last time the women’s pole vault was held at the Prefontaine Classic. The winner that day was Fabiana Murer of Brazil, who cleared 15 feet, 2 1/4 inches.

The caliber of women vaulters today has grown to a new level.

The most experienced athlete in the field was 36-year-old Olympic champion and 17-time U.S. champion Jenn Suhr, and she took the title by clearing 15 feet, 11 inches, the same height as 21-year-old Eliza McCartney of New Zealand. McCartney had more misses at lower heights, so she finished second. Both jumpers beat the Pre Classic record.

“It was pretty cool to watch Jenn and Eliza jumping because Jenn is the older generation and Eliza is the new generation,” said Sandi Morris, who finished third at 15-5. “There’s more than 10 years of age gap between the two of them, and here they are both competing at the highest level possible. It’s cool to be a part of this new wave of women’s vaulters.”

Injuries have plagued Suhr over these past few years, but after Saturday’s performance, her confidence in her health is continuing to grow.

“I’ve been more healthy lately than in my entire career. I think the older you get the smarter you get,” said Suhr. “I haven’t been in a full competition like this with elite, world class girls in a while, so to be able to come out, be focused but still not be under stress and anxiety was great.”

McCartney’s clearance broke her own national record and set a new Oceania record. McCartney said the performance was because of her positive attitude.

“If I’m not smiling and enjoying it, that just means that my head isn’t in it,” said McCartney. “It just comes out. I mean, I don’t sit there and force a smile. It just means that I’m really in my zone and ready to go.”

Bryce Dole