Three weeks after her NCAA title, Sha-Carri Richardson ready for her pro debut

By Brett Taylor

SAN MATEO, Calif. — From the age of 8, Sha’Carri Richardson was fascinated with track and field. What got Richardson interested was a plaque full of medals that her grandmother made for her mother, who was a runner.

“I was like, ‘Dang, I want that,’” Richardson said, laughing. “My grandma said talk to your mama, so that’s what jump started it right there. I just wanted the medals.”

Richardson went on to win four Texas state high school championships, and then earlier this month, as a 19-year old freshman at LSU, she added another medal to her own plaque.

She won the 2019 NCAA title in the 100 meters in 10.75 seconds, breaking a 30-year-old collegiate record and posting the ninth fastest time ever in the world.

But only a couple days after the championships, Richardson stunned the world again, tweeting that she would be leaving LSU after only one year.

Richardson will run in her first professional race Sunday at the Prefontaine Classic at Stanford’s Cobb Track and Angell Field.

She will face off in the 100 meters against top professionals including Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica, who won Olympic gold medals in the 100 in 2008 and 2012, plus a bronze in 2016; former Oregon Duck English Gardner, the fourth-fastest woman ever; and last year’s Pre Classic champion, Marie-Josee La Tou.

“Last year we didn’t have any women who were running a 10.70,” Fraser-Pryce said. “So to be able to have women like Richardson running a 10.70 like that is remarkable, and I’m looking forward to being a part of those fantastic races.”

Richardson said that she is honored to race against Fraser-Pryce and hopes that the high-level of competition will bring out the best in her.

But going pro wasn’t as simple as pursing her life-long dream of becoming a pro athlete. It was more.

“Honestly, me going pro was an opportunity to open a new chapter in my life,” Richardson said. “I want to be able to have more good races down the timeline to take care of myself and my family.”

Richardson recalled one of her favorite moments in her early track and field career. When she was in high school, her grandmother, who was not very mobile, was able to come and watch her run.

“The journey has been unpredictable,” Richardson said. “I didn’t expect myself to do these things, like when I ran certain times, or did certain things. I wasn’t expecting that out of myself, but I knew that inside of myself I had that potential.”

Brett Taylor