Hana and Amanda Moll go 1-2 in women’s pole vault

Hana Moll came close to breaking the girls national high school record. Photo by Kevin Neri

Hana Moll cleared the bar on her third attempt at 14 feet, 1 ¼ inches as she won the women’s pole vault at the Oregon Relays on Friday. 

Following that jump, she attempted to break the national high school record with the bar at 14 feet, 10 inches — a goal that was in large part driven by her twin sister, Amanda, who had jumped almost that high, 14-9¼, last month at the Texas Relays.

“My sister has been really really close to 15 [feet], so I was like ‘I’ve got to raise my standards,’” Hana said. 

Amanda finished second Friday with a jump of 13-1¼.

The twin sisters tend to celebrate their achievements with one another. They also grind to reach those points alongside one another as they attend training sessions. 

For the Moll twins, that constant company keeps them comfortable. It’s all they’ve ever known. 

“Since we’re twins, we always did everything together,” Hana said. “I love training with my sister because when we’re pole vaulting… It’s like having a best friend, and she really pushes me. I think having her is a big reason why I’m here.” 

While Hana did not break the national high school record at the Oregon Relays, she wasn’t far off. She entered the Oregon Relays expecting to attempt the jump for 14-10 and believes that at her next event she will surpass that height. 

“It was close to 14-10,” Hana said. “That was really exciting for me. That means I know I can do it.”

Aaron Heisen