Jaida Ross continues to gain confidence with yet another discus PR

Jaida Ross is throwing the discus 25 feet farther than she was at the beginning of the outdoor season. Photo by Kevin Neri

Oregon thrower Jaida Ross set a new personal record in discus yet again Friday at the Oregon Twilight Meet — her fifth in seven meets this season. Ross’ final throw of 182 feet, 1 inch also won her the event.

The PR she set two weeks ago at the Oregon Relays was 174-4, which ranked her 10th in the Pac-12. Friday’s throw moved her up to sixth overall.

Ross also won the won the shot put on her first throw of 55 feet.

Ross kicked off the outdoor season in discus by throwing for 157-5 at the OSU PNW Invite; since then she has added 25 feet. The progression throughout the season is important for Ross, as she’ll be competing in the Pac-12 Championships next week.

“I think this is big for confidence,” Ross said. “I think I just needed this.”

The rainy, windy weather did affect her early throws.

“I was kind of struggling in the beginning with disc and then kind of got myself together, calmed down a little bit,” Ross said. “And kind of focused in on the throw more, and it came together in the last throw and felt really good.”

The weather shifted throughout the whole meet, going from sunny to gloomy, from rain to rainbows. The wind was the biggest hurdle for throwers.

“I didn’t really know how I wanted to hit it,” she said. “If I wanted to hit it flatter than usual or hit it normal and see if the wind picks it up or puts it down.”

Ross said she was more focused on throwing flat on her second, which ruined how she ended up throwing it, so she decided to throw the discus how she normally does.

Ross threw for 170-9 right after her second throw, then fouled back-to-back times before her PR-setting final throw.

“It felt really good,” she said, adding that a little bit of luck and talent went into that throw.

With her increased confidence going into Pac-12s, Ross is poised to set a new PR on a bigger stage at Hayward Field. 

“I can go in knowing that I can throw big throws,” Ross said.

Izzy La Rue