Another Diamond League win in the women’s 800 meters for Keely Hodgkinson

Keely Hodgkinson appears to be recovered from the injury that kept her out of the world indoor championships. Photo by Kevin Neri

Keely Hodgkinson, who didn’t compete in the Worlds Indoor Championships due to a quad injury, has had a strong outdoor season. Just over a week ago, Hodgkinson won the women’s 800 meters in Birmingham, England.

This weekend at the Prefontaine Classic, Hodgkinson won another women’s 800-meter Diamond League event, racking up more points. She set a new world lead with a time of 1 minute, 57.72 seconds.  

“I felt really good. A bit windy out there, but other than that good competition, good run,” said Hodgkinson. “I can’t complain, really.”

Only a few strides behind Hodgkinson was the world indoor champion, Ajeé Wilson, who lost by .34 of a second. Wilson set a season best of 1:58.06. 

“I definitely know when I connect with my coach, I’m going to get some feedback on tactical errors and just my positioning through the four,” said Wilson. 

Additionally, Oregon alumna and the only woman on the Hayward Tower, Raevyn Rogers, finished third with a time of 1:58.44. 

“I mean, it was my second 800 of the year,” said Rogers. “So, this just tells me where I’m at with training. I mean today was really strategic.”  

By the bell lap Hodgkinson was in third place, with Wilson and Rogers still at the back of the group. Halfway through the back stretch, Wilson began her move outside of the group to fifth place. Around the bend into the last 100 meters, Hodgkinson, Wilson and Rogers each kicked. 

Hodgkinson also competed at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, where she finished second to Athing Mu. Mu was also supposed to compete in this event, but unfortunately got COVID. 

“I’m sure we’ll have many duels over the years. We’re still both so young. I look forward to racing her,” said Hodgkinson.

Jasmyne Tomas