Pre Classic 2-mile event didn’t go as Paul Chelimo planned

By Chiann Nobrega 

In April, after the Prefontaine Classic announced it would include a 2-mile race, Paul Chelimo tweeted, “Going for the AR in this one … should be lit,” and fans hoped to see an American record set. However, the event Friday night did not go as planned. It proved to be an overall slow race where no one wanted to take the lead.

Chelimo placed second with a time of 8 minutes, 20.91 seconds, nearly 14 seconds behind the U.S. record and nearly a second behind 18-year-old Selemon Barega of Ethiopia, who won the race in 8:20.01. 

“I was trying to go for the American record,” Chelimo said. “When it came to the kick, it took this thing out of me. It is not easy when someone is just sitting by and waiting for the kick.”

Coming off a 13:09 in the 5K in the Shanghai Diamond League meet two weeks ago, Chelimo found it difficult to compete back to back. This, the weather and the fact he could not feel his legs were the main reasons Chelimo did not feel 100 percent and decided to run a smart, consistent race rather than a fast time. 

“I knew this was going to be a kickers race,” Chelimo said. “We didn’t go with the pacers, and that is when I knew I did not want to be the sacrificial lamb.”

Norway’s Henrik Ingebrigtsen, who finished fifth in national record 8:22.31, was surprised by the overall pace.

“I’m surprised people were still holding back,” Ingebrigtsen said. “I was pretty sure that with two laps to go, people would go harder. But they kept on holding back. I was hoping to run a little faster because it was my first time running in the 2 mile.”

Although the American record was not broken, Chelimo remained positive and hopeful for his upcoming meets.

“Staying with the leaders was tough, but I did my best,” Chelimo said. “It was a good race coming in second. I got 13:09 two weeks ago, and I can’t complain. Good thing is I have been consistent. Every race, I try to go for it. Not a bad day for me, and I look forward to the rest of the season.”

Former Oregon star Edward Cheserek, returning to Hayward Field for the first time as a professional, finished 15th in 8:31.43.

Chiann Nobrega