Sam Kendricks defends Pre Classic title in pole vault

By Nate Mann

Sam Kendricks continued his dominance on U.S. soil by winning the 2018 Prefontaine Classic men’s pole vault with a jump of 19 feet, ¾ inches.

But the pole vault victory was not the most exhilarating part of Kendricks’ final competition at Hayward Field. After he cleared 18-8 ¾ inches, the pole vaulter watched a javelin “falling from the sky like a meteor” barely miss an unaware field official.

“My heart just dropped. I said, ‘Thank God she didn’t get struck by the javelin,’” recounted Kendricks. “I rushed over and I said, ‘Are you OK?’ She was not even flustered, like a true professional official.”

After he checked on the field official, Kendricks went on to clear 19-¾ inches on his first attempt. The rest of the field failed to do so, giving the American his second consecutive victory at the Prefontaine Classic.

All alone, Kendricks raised the bar to 19-4 ¾ inches, where he missed all three attempts. He said, “I’ve never come to Eugene and not jumped 18-8, and I would be damn sure I was going to do it my last time here at Hayward.”

Eighteen-year-old Mondo Duplantis finished second with a height of 18-8 ¾. It was the first time he beat world record holder Renaud Lavillenie, who placed fifth with a height of 18-3. However, Duplantis has yet to defeat Kendricks in the pole vault. (Kendricks said he doesn’t always beat Duplantis, though: “He’s a demon in ping pong. I’ve never beaten him in a game.”)

“Sam is so hard to beat. And it irritates me. A lot,” said Duplantis. “But I know that him being so hard to beat will make beating him so much sweeter.”

The two have developed a friendship since competing in professional pole vault events. Kendricks, who refers to Duplantis as “Little Lion,” feels the pressure from the teenage phenom.

Both endured alternating winds in today’s event and made adjustments throughout. It was a strong first jump with the bar at 19 feet ¾ inches that pushed Kendricks past the youngster. He said, “I was glad that I was able to show Mondo that I’m not washed up just yet.”

Nate Mann